Maintenance Technician - Devon
1. Job purpose
We’re looking for a hard-working, self-motivated individual to join our maintenance and development team.
The successful applicant will have a proven background in the construction industry demonstrating competence in a range of construction disciplines. Specific experience within the family attractions, zoos and/or agricultural/animal management sectors would be highly valued, though not essential.
Day-to-day, you will work within the maintenance team on a range of routine maintenance tasks including grounds-keeping, animal enclosure, visitor facilities and buildings maintenance.
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, you will play an important role in the delivery of a number of complex build projects to meet the demands of our expanding animal collection. This will necessitate hands-on experience in a variety of construction disciplines.
In addition to working within the maintenance team, you will be required to coordinate and cooperate with other departments and, from time-to-time, assist other departments in a variety of customer-facing situations so an outgoing, personable disposition and excellent communication skills are essential.
You’ll need to be able work safely and to a high standard with minimal supervision. An ability to think on your feet, exercise initiative tackle problems as they arise will be highly valued.
2. Skills, Knowledge & Experience
• Highly motivated with a strong commitment to meeting the Charity’s objectives
• Highly adaptable, able to prioritise and operate effectively on own initiative
• The ability to identify and solve problems with minimal management oversight
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Good time management skills
• Able to work well as part of a team
• Good communication and presentation skills
• Reflective and able to evaluate your work critically
• Demonstrable experience in a variety of construction disciplines
• Small to medium sized plant operation
• Competence with a comprehensive range of power tools
• Chainsaw operation
• Competence in fundamental Health & Safety issues
• A working knowledge of horticultural issues
• Familiarity with and enthusiasm for wildlife and environmental conservation issues
3. Other Considerations
1. The post is full time over 5 days a week and will require bank holiday working, and may require weekend work.
2. No person shall be treated less favourably than another on the grounds of sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, ethic or national origin, religion, colour, age or disability. As an equal opportunities employer, applicants for staff vacancies shall be shortlisted for interview and appointed purely on the grounds of their suitability for the post as laid out in the advertised job description
3. Wildwood operates a no smoking policy in the park and in its offices.
4. Employment Package
The salary for the Maintenance Technician is £21,601 per annum.
Normal working hours are a 37.5 hours per week over 5 days.
The holiday allowance is 30 days a year pro rata, this includes statutory holidays.
Appointments are subject to confirmation after a six-month probation period.
Staff benefits include:
• Company pension
• Discounted or free food
• Employee discount
• On-site parking
Application is by C.V. and covering letter and must contain the following information:
● Name, address, contact phone numbers
● Personal statement
● Employment history
● Educational history
You should include a statement of the relevant skills and experience that you believe you will bring to the job, paying careful attention to the requirements of the job outlined above. You should give two referees to whom we can turn for a confidential reference, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. References will only be taken up for those candidates chosen for interview or, with regard to current employer, on offer of contract.
Applications will not normally be acknowledged. If you would like yours to be acknowledged, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
Applications should be sent to Helen Sayers, Wildwood Trust, Herne Common, Herne Bay, Kent, CT6 7LQ. Or alternatively email email@example.com. Interviews and selection tests will be held on site at Wildwood Devon at Escot Park, Ottery St Mary by arrangement.