Outdoor Education Instructor - Devon
Job Title: Outdoor Education Instructor
Responsible to: Education & Conservation Manager
Responsible for: Informal Education & Public Engagement
Contract: Permanent, variable hours
Salary: Minimum wage
1 ABOUT WILDWOOD
Wildwood Trust is a unique British charity, dedicated to rewilding Britain through the restoration of wild habitats and reintroduction of extinct species. Wildwood became a Charity in 2002 and now works solely for wildlife conservation and public education. In 2015 Wildwood Trust took over the running of the animal park at Escot Park, near Ottery St Mary, and operates as Wildwood Devon.
Our mission, through the operations of British wildlife parks, is to inform and inspire people about the wildlife that was once harboured in our wild woods and wild places and give them the inspiration, skills and ability to play an active role in its protection and restoration.
• Bringing the joy of understanding British Wildlife, and formerly native wildlife, to as many people as possible through giving the best possible experience to our visitors.
• Developing in the minds of people an understanding of wildlife, its history and its practical conservation through education and training.
• Building a commercially successful visitor centre that can be duplicated at suitable woodland sites across the UK.
• The careful husbandry of Wildwood’s collection of British native, naturalised and once native wildlife.
• Rewilding Britain through pioneering conservation projects and reintroductions to produce balanced and sustainable semi-natural ecological systems.
• Scientific research to better understand how to deliver our mission to restore wild lands and their wildlife
2 JOB PURPOSE
We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Outdoor Education Instructor to join our team. The ideal candidate will have an interest in either British wildlife or Anglo-Saxon history, excellent communication skills and the ability to inspire and engage with children and the general public.
The Outdoor Education Instructor will be responsible for delivering our educational content and fostering a positive learning environment. We aim to reconnect the general public with nature in multiple subjects and produce individual memorable experiences.
3 JOB DESCRIPTION
Providing leadership, policy advice and practical demonstration of wildlife and environmentally friendly technologies, economic systems and lifestyles.
4. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The main duties and responsibilities for this position include:
Bringing the Anglo Saxon Village to life for our visitors
Assisting with the delivery of engaging activities with the public
Assisting with the development and maintenance of the village
Delivering activities for private birthday parties
Providing exceptional customer service and communication when handling enquiries and engaging with our schools, groups or park visitors in a professional and helpful manner
Assisting with the schools during term time, when required
Maintenance and tidying of the department’s facilities
You may be required to carry out duties not listed above but which will be within your level of skill and ability.
5. OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
1. The post is advertised as variable-hour contract. It will require weekday, weekend, bank holiday and occasional evening working.
2. No person shall be treated less favourably than another on the grounds of sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, ethic or national origin, religion, colour, age or disability. As an equal opportunities employer, applicants for staff vacancies shall be short listed for interview and appointed purely on the grounds of their suitability for the post as laid out in the advertised job description.
3. Wildwood operates a no smoking policy in the park and in its offices.
6. HOW TO APPLY
Application is by C.V. and covering letter and must contain the following information:
● Name, address, contact phone numbers
● Personal Statement
● Two references
You should include a statement of the relevant skills and experience that you believe you will bring to the job, paying careful attention to the requirements of the job outlined above. You should give two referees to whom we can turn for a confidential reference, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. References will only be taken up for those candidates after an offer of employment has been made.
Applications will not normally be acknowledged. If you would like yours to be acknowledged, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
Applications should be sent to Charlotte Mead, Wildwood Devon, Escot Park, Ottery St Mary, Devon, EX11 1LU. Or alternatively email email@example.com. Interviews will be held on site at Wildwood Devon at Escot Park, Ottery St Mary by arrangement.
Application deadline is 31st January 2024.