Visitor Services Park Assistant - Devon
Responsible to: Visitor Services Managers
Responsible for: Welcoming visitors, sales
Contract: Permanent, variable hours
Salary: Minimum wage
Closing date: 9 February 2024
1 ABOUT WILDWOOD
Wildwood Trust is a unique British charity, dedicated to rewilding Britain through the restoration of wild habitats and reintroduction of extinct species. Wildwood became a Charity in 2002 and now works solely for wildlife conservation and public education. In 2015 Wildwood Trust took over the running of the animal park at Escot Park, near Ottery St Mary, and operates as Wildwood Devon.
Our mission, through the operations of British wildlife parks, is to inform and inspire people about the wildlife that was once harboured in our wild woods and wild places and give them the inspiration, skills and ability to play an active role in its protection and restoration.
• Bringing the joy of understanding British Wildlife, and formerly native wildlife, to as many people as possible through giving the best possible experience to our visitors.
• Developing in the minds of people an understanding of wildlife, its history and its practical conservation through education and training.
• Building a commercially successful visitor centre that can be duplicated at suitable woodland sites across the UK.
• The careful husbandry of Wildwood’s collection of British native, naturalised and once native wildlife.
• Rewilding Britain through pioneering conservation projects and reintroductions to produce balanced and sustainable semi-natural ecological systems.
• Scientific research to better understand how to deliver our mission to restore wild lands and their wildlife
2 JOB PURPOSE
The Visitor Services Park Assistant is a new role in the Wildwood Team. If you like variety and you are flexible, enthusiastic, friendly, hardworking and customer focused this may be the perfect position for you.
In this role you could find yourself working in the park entrance kiosk, selling memberships and animal adoptions, waiting tables in the café, selling ice creams from the popular Snack Shack, or restocking vending machines.
3 JOB DESCRIPTION
You will be ‘the face of Wildwood,’ responsible for creating a warm welcome for all our visitors ensuring the highest standards of customer care at all times. We’re looking for bright, friendly, outgoing individuals to join our amazing Visitor Services Team. Ideally, the successful applicant will have a proven background in sales and customer services. Specific experience in the family attractions, leisure and catering sectors will be highly valued though not essential as all training will be provded.
Our members are a vital part of our mission and you will play a crucial role in building our membership base.
You will have excellent communication skills and be able demonstrate the ability to convey key product knowledge, encouraging visitors to become members by generating genuine enthusiasm and support for our mission.
Working in busy and often pressured environments, a calm, clear head, and the ability to deal with a range of characters and challenges in a friendly, efficient and informative manner is a must.
4. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The main duties and responsibilities for this position include:
• Providing exceptional customer service.
• Taking payment from customers for park entrance and encouraging customers to sign up for gift aid.
• Sell memberships, adoptions, and animal experiences to customers.
• Sell shop stock to customers.
• Answer the phone and deal with customer enquiries.
• Input information accurately to a computer system (basic IT skills).
• Provide information about the park and animals.
• Take payment for food and drinks in the café
• Clear tables, wash up, deliver food orders.
• Sell ice creams, drinks and snacks from the Snack Shack.
• You may be required to carry out duties not listed above but which will be within your level of skill and ability.
5. OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
• The post is advertised as variable-hour contract. It will require weekday, weekend, bank holiday and school holiday work.
• No person shall be treated less favourably than another on the grounds of sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, ethic or national origin, religion, colour, age or disability. As an equal opportunities employer, applicants for staff vacancies shall be short listed for interview and appointed purely on the grounds of their suitability for the post as laid out in the advertised job description.
• Wildwood operates a no smoking policy in the park and in its offices.
6. HOW TO APPLY
Application is by C.V. and covering letter and must contain the following information:
● Name, address, contact phone numbers
● Personal statement
● Two references
You should include a statement of the relevant skills and experience that you believe you will bring to the job, paying careful attention to the requirements of the job outlined above. You should give two referees to whom we can turn for a confidential reference, one of whom should be your current or most recent employer. References will only be taken up for those candidates after an offer of employment has been made.
Applications will not normally be acknowledged. If you would like yours to be acknowledged, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed postcard.
Applications should be sent to Wayne Lyness, Wildwood Devon, Escot Park, Ottery St Mary, Devon, EX11 1LU. Or alternatively email email@example.com. Interviews will be held on site at Wildwood Devon at Escot Park, Ottery St Mary by arrangement.